3b1 3.51a kernel (LONG)

Gary S. Trujillo gnews at gnosys.UUCP
Sat Apr 9 13:51:03 AEST 1988

> I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
> if anyone else is having problem with...

Hmmm.  I was just getting ready to install my fixdisk when I spotted this
posting.  Now I'm wondering whether maybe I shouldn't wait a bit.

> A sum(1) on the kernel is:
>
> 	11710 165 UNIX3.51a

I dunno.  Here's what I get:

	45337 165 UNIX3.51a

> It is 168915 bytes.  Can anyone please confirm (or deny) this?

Well, that checks:

	-rwxr-xr-x  1 gst      168915 Feb 11 14:13 UNIX3.51a

> This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
> floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
> reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
> I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
> floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
> admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
> allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I
> was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
> /unix with /UNIX3.51.  Oh well, I suppose I'm better for it...  I do
> thank AT&T for their prompt action on sending me the fix disk.  I
> understand that these things happen sometimes (but why always to me?).

Egad!  Well, if it gives you any comfort, a similar tragedy befell me
just a few weeks ago.  It had nothing to do with trying to install the
fixdisk, as I haven't gotten to it yet.  I damaged /etc/utmp, which
made the system refuse new logins, and didn't realize that I could just
reboot to get a new one, and decided, since I couldn't log in that I had
to go to single-user mode and fix utmp.  Then I discovered with great
chagrin that I didn't know how to boot single-user, and the manuals were
(as you surely know) no help.  :-(

After having re-installed kit, and some of kaboodle, I got my machine talking
to me again.  First thing I did was to shoot off a message to my buddy and
yours, Lenny Tropiano, who advised me that I coulda fixed things with a good
deal less grief.  I'm sure Lenny won't mind if I quote from his message
(right, Lenny?):

|Subject: Answers to questions
|To: gnosys!gst
|Date: Tue, 22 Mar 88 16:43:26 EST
|From: lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano)

|Geez.  Did you try rebooting?  The utmp file is recreated each time.  (At
|least I think... it should have fixed itself with a "RESET and REBOOT")
|Well to let you in on a "secret..." well not much of one...  This is how
|you SINGLE USER BOOT FLOPPY UNIX.  (BTW:  I am working on a way to
|create a standalone unix filesystem and necessary utilities on a bootable
|floppy... When I figure this out, I'll let you know)
|
|Step 1:
|	Shut down machine ... Get to the point where it is saying:
|
|	"Press RETURN to reboot."
|
|Step 2:
|	Insert the Floppy Boot Disk.  Disk 2 of XX ..  Reboot.
|
|Step 3:
|	When it says "Insert Floppy filesystem.." do so.
|	Press any key.
|
|Step 4:
|	When it says "You are about to destroy your hard-disk, are you
|	sure (Y/N)?"  (not necessarily in those words...).
|
|	AND HERE'S THEY KEY (no pun intended) -->   PRESS <DEL>
|	Yes, that's <SHIFT>-<ESC>
|
|	To much of your suprise you will get a "#"... Yeah.
|
|Step 5:
|	Your root "/" is the floppy, so anything you want on
|	the hard disk must be prefixed with "/mnt" because the HD is
|	mounted as /mnt (some change huh?)  You won't find many (if any
|	useful programs on the floppy).  Just enough to get you going.
|	So you will have to type "/mnt/bin/ls" ... etc..  Now you can
|	proceed with anything you intended.

[I think booting a working kernel from floppy, and thereby getting to single-
user mode is the essence of the solution to the problem you pose.  Once there,
you can relink /unix with your (saved) /UNIX3.51.]

So, the story has a happy ending.  I dunno 'bout you, but I'm of the firm
opinion that the above from Lenny is worthy of being clipped, saved, and/or
tacked on the wall next to your machine!  :-)

--
Gary S. Trujillo			{ihnp4,linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {cirl,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst