3b1 3.51a kernel (LONG)

a.d.hay adh at anumb.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 22:32:15 AEST 1988

In article <158 at hodge.UUCP> rusty at hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:

[	stuff deleted	]

>Finally, I advise you to create a little script to copy those ever so
>important files into a backup directory.  Run this script nightly via
>cron.  Things that I backup include the passwd file, the uucp sys
>files, the news sys file, so on.  That way, if you have to ever
>re-build by re-installing the foundation set, you won't have to worry
>about it removing some of those ever important files.

i believe that the foundation set is just a cpio file,
the same format as a full-system backup ....

alternatively, you could make a 'core restore file'
with just the minimum on it to boot the computer
(/, /etc, /dev, /tmp, and parts of /bin, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib, maybe).
sort of an expanded version of the floppy filesystem disk.

i'd create it by listing the files i wanted (with full pathnames)
into a file - say, /tmp/corefiles - and then
cpio -oacvB > /dev/rfp021 < /tmp/corefiles

then, partial-system backups could complete your restoration.

this is more up-front work, but you'll be back on the  air quicker if
you can install one of these instead of the foundation set when your
system crashes.

--
AT&T-BL Ward Hill MA	|	"Don`t try to out-wierd ME, three-eyes!"       |