Linking /tmp to /usr/tmp

Dave Ciemiewicz ciemo at bananaPC.wpd.sgi.com
Sat Aug 4 03:08:39 AEST 1990

In article <9008031155.AA02414 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>,
blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>    Didn't you have a X window socket in your /tmp?  That is why we
> could remove /tmp.  I also figured that is one of the reasons why
> the hotline said we couldn't (shouldn't) remove /tmp and replace it
> with a link to /usr/tmp.  Can any one give me any GOOD reasons why
> we shouldn't remove /tmp and replace it with a link?
> --
>
> 	Brent L. Bates
> 	NASA-Langley Research Center
> 	M.S. 361
> 	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
> 	(804) 864-2854
> 	E-mail: blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates at aero2.larc.nasa.gov

Two reasons I can think of:

1) files in /tmp are automagically removed when cranking up the ol' IRIS.
Linking /tmp to /usr/tmp will remove files in /usr/tmp during a reboot.  This
may annoy some folks though it is something they may be able to get used to.
Some people consider files in /usr/tmp to be fair game in this situation.

2) If you boot your system in single user mode, /usr may not be mounted.
This means running programs like ex to do configuration file edition in this
won't work unless A) you mount /usr or B) you rm /tmp and mkdir /tmp to
create yourself a new directory.  As long as you are the only individual
administering the system, these nusiances may only be minor.

They may not be GOOD reasons but they might be FAIR.

							--- Ciemo