Linking /tmp to /usr/tmp

Ted Wilcox ted at vball.sgi.com
Sat Aug 4 04:56:20 AEST 1990

In <11369 at odin.corp.sgi.com> ciemo at bananaPC.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) writes:

>In article <9008031155.AA02414 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>,
>blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:
>>
>>    Didn't you have a X window socket in your /tmp?  That is why we
>> could remove /tmp.  I also figured that is one of the reasons why
>> the hotline said we couldn't (shouldn't) remove /tmp and replace it
>> with a link to /usr/tmp.  Can any one give me any GOOD reasons why
>> we shouldn't remove /tmp and replace it with a link?

>Two reasons I can think of:

>1) files in /tmp are automagically removed when cranking up the ol' IRIS.
>Linking /tmp to /usr/tmp will remove files in /usr/tmp during a reboot.  This

Is /tmp cleared before or after /usr is mounted?  I genuinely don't know
the answer, but it would make this a moot point.

>2) If you boot your system in single user mode, /usr may not be mounted.
>This means running programs like ex to do configuration file edition in this
>won't work unless A) you mount /usr or B) you rm /tmp and mkdir /tmp to
>create yourself a new directory.  As long as you are the only individual
>administering the system, these nusiances may only be minor.

This one is easy to get around.  You simply mkdir /usr/tmp when /usr is
not mounted.  Then the directory exists, but is on the root filesystem
in single user mode.  It simple becomes invisible when /usr is mounted.
(You do need to be careful not to leave junk in here, though, since it
will fill up the root partition with no way to remove it once /usr
is mounted.

>							--- Ciemo
                      ___
Ted.                 /x  \/|  I'd kill Flipper
ted at sgi.com          > \\  |  for a tuna sandwich.
                     \___/\|      -Flipper (The band) (Thanks Archer.)