how to attach a modem for dial-in/out

Bill HEELAN wheelan at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
Sun Aug 5 04:59:31 AEST 1990

>From article <66085 at sgi.sgi.com>, by vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver):
> In article <1565 at sumax.UUCP>, cadwell at sumax.UUCP (James A. Cadwell) writes:
>> hello:
[Discussion about hooking up modems]

   I'm currently doing the same thing -- I have to hook up several modems to
   a 4D-240S running 3.2.  At the moment I've hooked up a Hayes 2400
   Smartmodem to ttym3 and a Trailblazer Plus to ttyf2.  Both are to be used
   for dialing in and out.

   To test them I use 'cu' to dial out through one and into the other.  I am
   able to log in all right, but when I log out and the modems disconnect
   the machine hangs: the console is dead and rlogins are impossible,
   although 'ping' gets replies.  Has anyone seen this behaviour before?
   I've noticed that when it is hung, DTR is raised on only one of the ports,
   seeming to indicate that it hung before or during the second 'uugetty's
   relaunching ( don't have my notes with me -- not positive which port ).

   I noticed that a couple of people have mentioned the version of the OS
   they are running, and in both cases it's higher than 3.2 ( 3.2.1 and
   3.3? ).  Is there a bug fixed in these, or should 'uugetty' just not be
   run on a ttym port? ( It is fine the first time, when started by init. )
   Just what is the reason for the ttym ports?  Are they for slow modems
   that don't use hardware flow control?

   Sorry for all the questions, but it's frustrating having all one's
   attempts in getting modems to work require rebooting the machine!

                                                   - Bill