how to attach a modem for dial-in/out

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
Mon Aug 6 07:27:52 AEST 1990

In article <3813 at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca>, wheelan at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Bill HEELAN) writes:
>    To test them I use 'cu' to dial out through one and into the other.  I am
>    able to log in all right, but when I log out and the modems disconnect
>    the machine hangs: the console is dead and rlogins are impossible,
>    although 'ping' gets replies....

3.2 IRIX on MP machines through at least the penultimate version of 3.2
(perhaps it was called 3.2.2) had bugs that could cause a CPU to lock-up.
Most of the complaints went away with fixes put in to the last version of
3.2 (perhaps 3.2.3--many of us are confused by the numbers).

As Murphy would have predicted, additional problems on MP machines have been
discovered and will be fixed in 3.3.1.

There is also a collection of low frequency (<1 occurrance/machine-millenium)
problems that we have not yet been able to reproduce, and so have not
been able to fix.  If you have a way to reproduce such problems, please
let the Hotline know.

Vernon Schryver
vjs at sgi.com