3.3 fortran problem

David B.Anderson davea at quasar.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Sep 25 08:59:26 AEST 1990

In article <9009220353.AA08099 at akiko.Princeton.EDU>, phil at AKIKO.PRINCETON.EDU ("Philip D. Jeffrey") writes:
> In article <25656.26f4d43b at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>
> >Has anyone been having problems compiling Fortran code under 3.3?  I just
> >installed 3.3 and tried to compile one of the models I've been using, and
> >got the following error message:
> >

> >	f77 -static -Olimit 1400 -O1  -c hill2dc.f
> >
> >ugen: internal: error in write, writing 6528 bytes instead of 8192 bytes
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop.
> >

> It happened to us when compiling a graphics program that compiled fine under
> 3.2 (4D/25TG) and didn't under 3.3 (4D/340VGX). It turned out that /tmp was
> filling up with temporary files written by ugen, if I recall correctly. We
> expanded /tmp using a link to /usr/tmp (the perils of doing this sort of thing
> have been previously discussed on this network), and now the programs compile
> just fine.

A simpler and safer solution  to running out of space during compiles is

	setenv TMPDIR /usr/tmp

(using csh  terminology) for example

or
	TMPDIR=/usr/tmp ; export TMPDIR

(using sh/ksh)

See the f77(1) or cc(1) man page.

Regards,
[ David B. Anderson  Silicon Graphics  (415)335-1548  davea at sgi.com ]
[``What can go wrong?''                          --Calvin and Hobbes]