SGI's migration to X

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Wed Sep 5 07:38:44 AEST 1990

In article <JIM.90Aug31144126 at baroque.Stanford.EDU>, jim at baroque.Stanford.EDU
(James Helman) writes:

|> There's no need to use single pixel transfers, but the basic problem
|> of trying to cram lots of data down a narrow pipe is inherent in
|> imaging on network window systems.  There are various implementations
|> that use shared memory for these transfers when possible.  Sun has
|> something along these lines called Direct Graphics Access.  Perhaps,
|> SGI will work to improve X's image transfer performance as well as
|> supporting GL calls in X windows.

DGA is a mechanism that allows graphics intensive applications to talk directly
to the graphics hardware completely bypassing the window server.  It is not
as Jim suggests, a shared memory connection between client and server.

SGI has always had "direct graphics access".  We've simply never marketed it
as a feature.  To us it's a necessity.  I showed Sun how to do DGA in NeWS.
On Sun's, DGA only improves performance for XGL (no relation), and possibly
SunPHIGS, applications.  It does nothing for X applications.

On the SGI only GL applications have direct access to the graphics hardware.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."