About SMD's and IPI's, again.

Mark Bradley markb at mark.Solbourne.COM
Fri Sep 7 05:26:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep6.081301.1179 at sgzh.uucp> root%sgzh.uucp at uunet.uu.net (Bruno Pape) writes:
>SMD and IPI drives I received the following two replies from people at
>SGI Mountian View.
>
>Do we know what we will need to do to upgrade a machine with SMD disks to
>IPI disks?
>
>How about spare parts numbers for IPI disks and controlers?
>
>Thanks again,
>Bruno

The IPI and SMD disk drives are very different.  The SMD drive is a
one head/data path unit, while the IPI is a 2HP (2-head parallel).
The interfaces are very different, as well, one being the age-old SMDE
and the other being IPI level 2.

They are not interchangable at any field level.  The entire drive
must be replaced.  Cabling and controllers are, of course, entirely
different as well.

Don't try this at home, kids..... :{)  They are very different products.

						markb

--
Mark Bradley   (DoD#1100)		  Faster, faster, until the thrill
I/O Subsystems				of speed overcomes the fear of death.