Few simple A/UX questions

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Mon Sep 10 06:26:22 AEST 1990

wolf at mel.cipl.uiowa.edu writes:

>I hear 80M is minimum, and 160 is a good size, correct?  Also, I had heard that
Yep, 80M is pretty close to the minimum, and 160M is pretty good.

>some software bundled with 3rd party drives will not partition correctly for
>A/UX, correct?  If so, why is this and who has the 'good' software.

Why?  Because despite Apple clearly documenting the format of the "new" format
partition table in Inside Mac Vol. 5, in various technotes, and in practically
every publication except the New York Times, there are still vendors so
utterly braindead they haven't updated their software to handle the new-style
partition table.
  Contact the LaCie company (they advertise in your major Macintosh magazines.)
They sell a program called "SilverLining" which will format practically any
drive, and which will handle the new format of partition table.

>I had not seen anything about this, and it will seem a stupid question but, can
>any of the files A/UX needs be placed on a unix device (like a DEC5000 disk)?

You mean, like having the Mac mount an NFS partition off a disk on the DEC
5000?  Haven't tried it, for obvious reasons (not having a DEC5000 to play
with :-), but it oughta work.  In which case you should be able to cut down
that minimum disk space required by A/UX to just enough to give you enough
of a minimal root partition to NFS mount everything else you need.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp