Bug in Bnews sendbatch.sh with A/UX UUCP (and maybe other SysV UUCPs)

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.UUCP
Mon Sep 24 09:14:37 AEST 1990

In article <147 at comtst.UUCP> mdv at comtst.UUCP (Mike Verstegen) writes:
>In article <10491 at panix.UUCP> alexis at panix.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>Here's a Bnews bug, and one way to fix it. It's in version 2.11 (2.11.18?)
>>The sendbatch is marked as version 1.22, 10/29/89.
>>
>>The symptom: News postings never make it off your machine.
>[ stuff deleted ]
>
>Quite coincidentally, we had the same problem here (System V on 3B2) and just
>before reading this article, I had fixed it here with a slightly different
>solution as shown by the following sendbatch fragment.

Mike's solution is obviously better as a canned fix. I fixed it by adding the
directory so that I wouldn't forget to do something some permanent about it
at a later date.  All things considered, you probably want to use his two-line
addition. I just built Cnews today, and it does the exact same thing as the
fix- punt unless you write the code yourself. Not all that surprising... :-(

This is such an abvious problem, I wonder how it could survive so long. Are
there so few old-style UUCP machines left?

Alexis Rosen
A/UX Victim (still)
cmcl2!panix!alexis