tar from a disk (not tape)

fawcett fawcett at steven.COM
Tue May 16 05:33:57 AEST 1989

In article <1517 at cmx.npac.syr.edu>, gefuchs at goedel.uucp (Gill E. Fuchs) writes:
> i have in my directory a file named  gugu.tar  which i assume is
> a tarfile.
>
> now, what i would like to do is restore it unto my directory
>
> in my feeble attemp to do so i tried:
>         tar x gugu.tar
> to which i was wipped with the response:
>         "yo, no tape on line" {translated a bit}

You can do what you want simply by replacing the name of the tape drive
with the name of the file you want.  I.E.

    tar xvf  gugu.tar

will read gugu.tar and create (in the local directory) the files contained
in gugu.tar.

If you want to put the output somewhere else, either cd to the new
directory and add the full pathname of the input file, or use the more
complex redirection scheme.  I.E.:

   tar xvf - < gugu.tar

Either one should do the job for you.

Software Engineer          /          /    /        /    /   /    /   /     /
Sierra Geophysics, Inc .   -----     /    /---     /-----   /-----   /-----/
P.O. Box 3886                  /    /    /        /   \    /  \     /     /
Seattle, Wa.  98124      -----   -----   -----   /     \  /    \   /     /

Voice: (206) 822-5200    uucp: ..!uw-beaver!sumax!quick!ole!steven!fawcett