Too many states for YACC

Robert L. Blackburn rlb7h at uvaee.ee.virginia.EDU
Sat May 13 01:13:42 AEST 1989

I am trying to write a YACC specification for a VHDL parser.  When attempting
to generate the .c file with yacc I get the following message:

	fatal error: too many states, line 1198

(line 1198 is the end of the input file).
The abbrevieated y.output file contains the line:

	557/600 grammar rule, 749/750 states

My question: is there any way to raise the limit on the number of states YACC
will allow?  Failing that, are there some general techniques I can use in my
specification (or things to avoid in my specification) to reduce the number of
states YACC tries to produce?

Better yet (hoping against hope), does anyone already have a grammer for
VHDL that they would care to give me the [YACC] sources for?

Thanks in advance.

-Robert Blackburn