Insufficient Resource Error on msgsnd Call

3929] uucibg at sw1e.UUCP
Thu May 25 22:46:26 AEST 1989

In article <1026 at dinl.mmc.UUCP> noren at dinl.UUCP (Charles Noren) writes:
>Investigating my problem some more, I found ...
>   1.  Each message queue is limited to a default size set at
>       system configuration time.  On our system, this is
>       currently set to 2048 bytes (MSGMNB in msg.h).
>   2.  While each message queue has a limit, all the messages
>       queues are limited to a certain amount of memory.
>       On our system, this is currently set to 8k bytes
>       (MSGPOOL in msg.h).
>   3.  There is also a fixed limit to the number of message
>       packets in the message queue system.  This is defined
>       in our system as 50 packets (MSGMNI -- number of message
>       queue identifiers, MSGTQL -- number of system message
>       headers.
>
>I know how to turn on message queues on the Sun (thanks to answers
>from a previous posting), but how do I tune those parameters?
>Do I edit msg.h and reconfigure?

I'm not sure of the name of the file (I've only watched the sysadmin for the
box change the file), but you definitely edit a file and reconfigure the
kernal.  To be honest, I don't think it's msg.h (though mileage may vary since
you're not working with SysV).

>Another question:  There is a parameter in msg.h, right below the comment,
>"The following parameters are assumed not to require tuning", named
>MSGMAP that is the number of entries in the map.  It is set to 100.
>If I change the number of packets in the system to 650, will I need to
>set this as well?

In the system administrator's guide for the 3B2/600 (don't ask me why we use
them, I don't know), there are descriptions of the dependencies.  There are
some interesting relationships between the different pieces, but unfortunately
I don't know if they apply to Suns and I also don't know what differences there
are between SysV2 and SysV3.

My guess would be to look into the sections tuning or reconfigureing the kernel
(probably in the system administrator's reference rather than the guide) to
find out exactly how Suns handle these things.

Brian R. Gilstrap                          Southwestern Bell Telephone
One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4                  ...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
St. Louis, MO 63101                        ...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
(314) 235-3929                             ...!uunet!swbatl!sw1e!uucibg
#include <std_disclaimers.h>