Why is fortune writing to the fortunes.dat file?

Jon A. Tankersley zjat02 at apctrc.trc.amoco.com
Thu May 25 04:16:59 AEST 1989

The subject says it all.  This requires /usr/games to be mounted rw.
I can understand things like hack and the like that keep usage information
but does fortune really need this?  I strip out most of the games, but
fortune has kinda universal approval.  Would it be better to have it
try the rw open and not try to write if it has ro access?

Inquiring minds want to know.
-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank at apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank