Running MS/PC-DOS under Unix/Xenix

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.steinmetz
Fri May 5 01:05:47 AEST 1989

In article <620 at lilink.UUCP> mikej at lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
| 	- Requires 80386
		true

| 	- Better have at least 2 meg in that machine for starters.
		very true

| 	- Better be prepared to crash your machine frequently.
		We must be doing something wrong. I run VP/ix on two
		machines, and several friends here run it, and of all
		the problems we have had crashing the system is not
		among them. I have had a lot of games and other really
		ill-behaved programs not run, and some stuff which wants
		to use the standard (or non) hardware fail, but the the
		system has stayed up. Solidly. In all cases.

		We run windows, pagemaker, manuscript, 1-2-3, etc and
		the usual assortment of utilities. We run almost all
		programs from console, so there may be bugs in the
		terminal access code.

| That last statment was not tongue in cheek. It is a fact. VP/ix has an
| annoying tendency to crash to the computer. This is partially due to the
| fact that it has lots of Hooks directly into the kernel to do what it does.
| It also runs SUID root.

	I strongly suggest that you try it. For even moderately
well-behaved programs it has been adequate, and in no case has it hurt
the system overall.

	VP/ix supports LIM memory, I am told that DOSmerge doesn't,
although I don't have access to the 386 version to see.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen