help sought - securing a terminal/line

Rob McMahon cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 21:16:11 AEST 1990

In article <2080.26bda857 at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
>> One solution suggested was to put the name of the program in the
>> "/etc/ttys" file for that particular terminal line.  For instance...
>>
>>   tty01   "/usr/local/lib"    vt100   on modem      # Start LIB software
>
>This solution won't work.  I think you need to have a front end "getty" to
>wait until a connection is made, and then exec the appropriate program.  I'm
>trying to modify "getty" now to do this, but if anyone else has a solution,
>please speak up!  Thanks.

Assuming we're talking BSD here (that certainly looks like a 4.3 /etc/ttys
file to me ...), can't you just use the `lo' gettytab entry for this:

      lo    str    /usr/bin/login   program to exec when name obtained

Cheers,

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcsun!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv at uk.ac.warwick             INET:   cudcv at warwick.ac.uk
Rob McMahon, Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England