Strange cron behavior

John B Scalia jb at aablue.com
Thu Aug 30 04:58:07 AEST 1990

Hi all-
	I was hoping that someone out there might shed some light on what to
us is a really weird problem with cron. For some reason we've been getting
knocked out at night by power failures- no big deal, that we can handle, but
when the system comes back up, cron misbehaves. What happens is, cron is
running, but not all the entries in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs are running.
Most importantly, it refuses to run root's entry in the crontab. What's
strange, though, is if someone logs in as root and reloads the entry with
the crontab command, it starts and continues to run, but it won't do it
automatically. No other crontab entries are affected, ie., they are started
and the log shows that they're doing their thing.

	We're just scratching our heads at this one. Any ideas? Oh, we're
running a Unisys S/640 (Convergent Tech) with CTIX 6.29 (SysVR3).

Thanks in advance,
jb at aablue.com

PS. E-mail would be nicer for this, our news is running a bit behind; I'll
live, though, however you can help.
--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
jb at aablue.com   or  {uunet!}aablue!jb	(John B. Scalia)

Just a little more nonsense to clutter up the net.