setluid(0) in SCO ?

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Sun Sep 23 04:57:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep21.143435.9810 at dce.ie> em at dce.ie (Eamonn McManus) writes:

> I don't think you've realised just how cretinous a misfeature the SCO
> login uid is.  Several programs, such as crontab and at, will refuse to
> run if your login uid is not the same as your real uid.

Do you have a canonical list of such unhelpful programs?  Maybe it's time to
collect PD implementations/rewrite these programs and put together the
"Official USENET AntiSecureWare for SCO Unix Kit" ?

Preliminary list of requirements:

	i) perform all the functions of the SCO equivalent (other than the
	    SecureWare cr*p) with the same syntax so it becomes a drop-in
	    replacement.

	ii) be available under terms similar to the Berzerkeley Networking
	    code, or freer.

> To get around this and other SCO idiocies we have rewritten su at Datacode
> so that it sets the login uid as well as the normal uid to the new user.
> Of course the setluid() system call won't let you do this even if you're
> root, but root can poke around in /dev/kmem to accomplish the same effect.

Hehehehehehehehe ! I *like* this one!  Candidate no. 1 for the Official Kit!

> If anyone would like a copy of this su, mail me.  If there is enough
> interest, I will post it.

Please do post.  I'll install it within 30 seconds of receipt at this site :-)
Now, do we have the NSA on our backs for the rest of the century? :-)
--
my .signature is on holiday