ultrix 3.0 tty patch

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Jul 12 19:35:09 AEST 1989

One of the patches from the Support Center included this description
of problems with the terminal drivers:

> TIP
> ---
> {dhu.o,dmb.o,dmf.o,dz.o,fc.o,sh.o,ss.o,tty.o}
>
> V3.0 included a bug that broke part of DEC Standard 52 for modems.
> This will show up if a false call comes into the modem, it should
> drop the line after 30 seconds. The software doesn't correctly
> drop DTR. This is also apparent if you attempt to use a modem with
> the DMF32 ports 0 or 1. In this case, the system may allow another
> user to gain access to the system without logging in, by accessing
> a previously opened port.

Is there anyone who can explain just what was wrong and how it was
fixed?  Was the problem also implemented in the dh driver and not
fixed by this patch?  It appears that the modems I have running off
of a 3-rd party DH11 emulator no longer reliably disconnect when you
logout, etc...

Also, can someone explain the import of this mysterious DEC standard 52
as it applies to the Ultrix drivers?  Looking in /sys/data/*.c, it
seems that each of the "supported" drivers has a compile time (but
patchable) option as to whether or not to support "DS52"...

for whether or not to implement
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net