ms diagnostic

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!ihnss!wheps!zeppo!harpo!esquire!psl utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!ihnss!wheps!zeppo!harpo!esquire!psl
Tue Mar 30 02:37:14 AEST 1982

The only time we've gotten the "out of temp space" diagnostic from nroff
(oops; change that to "only times") were cases of diversions not being
terminated; e.g. a footnote start (which diverts) with no footnote end.
This, of course, throws the rest of the document into the diversion and
apparently overflows a counter or line pointer storage area or some such.
In every case we've been able to find a "logical" error in the input and
the diagnostic went away.  On the other hand nroff has some truly bizarre
bugs available for the adventurous...
We no longer use nroff.  Instead we're using two different nroff-like
formatters.  One is called "ff" and is FAST (by comparison) but limited
(its bugs are also limited but no less bizarre); the other is a rewrite of
nroff which has MANY fewer limitations, does most of what troff does for
an extensible set of output devices, and so on;  all with no loss of
bizarre-ness ... (I seem to have wandered from the subject; sorry)
						Peter Langston
						esquire!psl