Ultrix and 4.2 and der Mouse

Larry Campbell campbell at maynard.UUCP
Sun Dec 8 16:43:24 AEST 1985

> ...But, and this is what I think Armando was getting at, if you have no
> use for any of that, if you do all your own support, if your goal is
> to make massive changes to the kernel (essentially voiding the
> warrantee) then you might do better to go with a non-commercial
> product.  No commercial OS product that I know of is set up to allow
> the customer to make changes to it and stil be supported by the
> company.
> --
> Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center    {decvax,seismo,cbosgd}!decuac!avolio

Well, maybe this is ancient history, and the product is nearing the end
of its life, but TOPS-10, DEC's timesharing system for its largest machines
(PDP-10s) was ALWAYS shipped in source form.  There was no binary-only
distribution.  And the stuff was supported too (although if you wanted
a bug report taken seriously, you had to be able to reproduce it on
a vanilla system).
--
Larry Campbell                                 The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: maynard.UUCP:campbell at harvard.ARPA       120 Fulton Street