Bourne shell modifications, past and future

Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Sun Dec 1 06:29:14 AEST 1985

In article <3039 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>> What shell and which machine allows this? I'm running SV.2 on an AT&T
>> UNIX PC with the Bourne shell, and it won't work for me.
>
>The standard S5R2 Bourne shell allows this.  I sincerely hope that
>Convergent or AT&T isn't putting out an S5R1 shell on a system which claims
>to be S5R2; check up with your vendor on this.
>In either case, if your system claims to be S5R2,
>bitch; either you've got a broken shell or the wrong shell.

I'm writing this as a UNIX-PC owner; I'm not in the organizations that
make or design the things.

The 7300 is System V Release 1, not Release 2.  The 5.2 business is
version 2 of the System V for the 7300; it's not the same thing as
System V Rel 2.  There will be a version 3 out "real soon"; it's still
an upgraded/bug-fixed Release 1, rather than Unix System V Release 3.
(Sigh.)
				Bill
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs