Bourne shell modifications, past and future

Bob Van Cleef revc at gwsd.UUCP
Fri Dec 13 09:23:40 AEST 1985

> > What shell and which machine allows this? I'm running SV.2 on an AT&T
> > UNIX PC with the Bourne shell, and it won't work for me.
>
> The standard S5R2 Bourne shell allows this.  I sincerely hope that
> Convergent or AT&T isn't putting out an S5R1 shell on a system which claims
> to be S5R2; check up with your vendor on this.  Try saying
>
>       type cat
>
> to your shell.  If it says "cat is /bin/cat" or somesuch, it's the S5R2 shell
> and should support shell functions.  The example given does work on the S5R2
> shell.  If it complains that "type" isn't found, or something like that,
> it's not the S5R2 shell.  In either case, if your system claims to be S5R2,
> bitch; either you've got a broken shell or the wrong shell.
>
>       Guy Harris

On an AT&T 3b2/300 - SYS V.2
        $ type cat
        Cat is hashed (/bin/cat)

On an AT&T PC7300 - SYS V.2
        $ type cat
        type: not found

Aren't standards wonderful???

Bob
--
Bob Van Cleef                   {ihnp4|akgua|decvax|dcdwest|ucbvax}
(619) 457-2701                         ...sdcsvax!gwsd!revc