Autoconfig

Hitoshi Aida aida at porthos.csl.sri.com
Thu Jun 30 11:15:51 AEST 1988

In article <9600 at eddie.MIT.EDU> nessus at athena.mit.edu (Doug Alan) writes:
>        A more preculiar mode of failure happens when I remove a
>second disk controller.  The autoconfig sequence finds the first
>controller twice!  And both times it finds it at the same CSR address.
>It assigns each disk drive to two different device names.  The
>autoconfig sequence then merrily continues on, and seems to be working
>fine, until the system finally gets to the point where it tries to
>give you a /bin/sh.  At this point it hangs.

The problem is "the standard addresses" embedded in the driver.
If autoconf fails to find second controller at the address specified
in the configuration file, then try to find it at the standard
addresses and finally finds the first controller located at one of
such addresses!

I think the best solution is to never use standard addresses.
You can either patch source or object of the driver so that
the first element of udastd[] etc. will have a value of 0 (short).

--------
Hitoshi AIDA (aida%inosai.u-tokyo.junet%utokyo-relay at relay.cs.net)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, The University of Tokyo
Current Address: aida at csl.sri.com
Computer Science Lab, SRI International