VMS is not the evil empire

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Sun Mar 20 02:56:00 AEST 1988

Dick St.Peters <stpeters at ge-crd.arpa> writes:
	However, DEC has come a long way since then, and instead of bashing
	them for taking so long to get on the UNIX bandwagon, shouldn't we be
	welcoming them aboard?

Excellent point!

They're obviously still lacking in some areas (no nameserver -- hell, when
one of their own engineers wrote BIND! -- makes Ultrix all but unuseable
on the Internet), but by all their statements, and from DEC presentations
I've been to, they know they're lagging (I heard someone admit it :-), and
they seem real sincere in their catch-up efforts.

Complaints about specific field offices posted to a world-wide network
are probably less effective at causing change than a sharp well-worded
letter sent to the regional office.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz at uunet.uu.net.