h,j,k,l in vi

Jordan Brown lcc.jbrown at UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
Sat Feb 23 06:28:56 AEST 1985

	From: mwm at ucbtopaz.cc.UCB-VAX.ARPA
	Newsgroups: net.unix
	Subject: Re: h,j,k,l in vi
	Date: 19 Feb 85 04:04:26 GMT
	To:       info-unix at BRL-TGR.ARPA

An interesting note, but many of the details are wrong.
	                                                           ...Emacs uses a
	true mnemonic system:  ^Left, ^Right, ^Forward, and ^Back (in some cases,
	^H also works)...

^Forward, ^Back (characters); ^Next, ^Previous (lines).
^Reverse is reverse search; ^L is (for historical reasons) repaint screen.

     ...Word Star (on some terminals) uses a "speed-oriented" layout, like so:  A
	(left), S (up), D (down), F (right)....

Nope, positional:

	scroll up    up     up page
	  ^W         ^E      ^R

left word   left char   right char  right word
  ^A          ^S          ^D         ^F

	scroll down   down   down page
          ^Z           ^X     ^C

These are the standard layouts for these editors.  Note that WordStar, for
instance, starts with a positional layout, and then tries to be mnemonic
for non-movement commands, but fails miserably because most of the interesting
letters are already used up.

I've used all three of these (WordStar, vi, and emacs [ REAL emacs, the
ITS PDP-10 version ]), and currently I'm using vi because it's faster than
emacs and provides most of the functionality I need.  WordStar, of course,
doesn't run under Unix and besides doesn't provide the functionality I like
in an editor.

Why doesn't somebody put together a Unix version of TECO?  Best editor ever;
if you can't do it in a line or two of TECO it's not worth doing anyway.

jordan
---
no, my name doesn't do anything interesting as a TECO macro; both names
(all three, really) contain commands with string arguments, so most of the
characters don't get interpretted.