HELP! Problem uucp'ing from SHOP

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Mon Dec 12 17:10:43 AEST 1988

Re: David's problems attempting to contact the Shop ...

1) the "*" doesn't appear in my list of valid characters that the ..

2) ... "OBM" (On Board Modem) will accept.

3) if your phone line is the first one (of the RJ-11 jacks), then be SURE
   the upper left corner of your window screen display shows:

          DATA 1:

   and not:

          VOICE 1: IDLE     in reverse hilight

The ``phtoggle'' program, when run from a UNIX shell command level, will
toggle the phone line state between "VOICE" and "DATA".

Assuming you've installed everything from the Foundation Set, I'm at a loss
as to what else could be wrong.

Are you running (at least) the 3.51 release of the OS?

Thad Floryan [thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]