Want uucico to work without answering the phone

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Fri Dec 2 14:27:50 AEST 1988

In article <11872 at cup.portal.com> ebd at cup.portal.com (Elliot B Dierksen) writes:
>First, i want to apologize for not including the text i am referencing, but
>i am a little limited in the way i can access the net here. Anyway...
>
>One certain way to not have the phone manager bite you is not install it.
>if you don't use the phone manager, take it off! then you can change your
>inittab tab without fear of some program diddling with it. then you also
>don't need to worry about toggling the line in case (god forbid), you should
>have a power outage and your unit rebooted in voice mode. that is certainly
>the simplest way to avoid programs head-butting.

Well, not quite right. The routine that diddles the inittab colons is dial(3C).
This routine is used by:
/etc/ph (the phone manager)
/usr/bin/cu
/usr/lib/uucp/uucico
/usr/bin/async_main (ate)
kermit
etc.

You should add a setgetty to your /etc/rc if you're concerned about the start
up state of the getty on the phone line. I do agree about using the phone
manager. If you don't need it, get rid of it. The ph with 3.51 is about half
the size of the "fixed" one on the 3.51a fix disk. Someone forgot to link it
with the shared library.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:459-7644;  MS-DOS is a beautiful flower that smells bad!