Fed up with Gnu CC

Alex S. Crain alex at umbc3.UMD.EDU
Mon Dec 5 07:49:10 AEST 1988

In article <12015 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Re: Brant's problems compiling using gcc (esp. 1.31) ...

>In one of the GNU-related newsgroups appeared a comment recently that the
>optimizer in gcc is "broken" (esp. in 1.31).

	I think that this discussion mostly related to gcc being umable to
compie TeX with -O. This is not a bug, and is fixed by the -fwriteable-strings
option to gcc. The same was true with the problems compiling X11.2.

>And all the docs accompanying gcc clearly state that gcc is in a "beta"
>state until such time as gcc successfully compiles (and permits to run! :-)
>a complete "UNIX"(tm) system from the UNIX sources.

	I would hardly consider UN*X a valid test of anything except perhaps
the convoluted C code contest :-). UN*X (at least the Bizerkely code) is
extreamly implimentation dependent and relies on specific behavior during
compilation with regard to register allocation, etc. UN*X will compile under
gcc after someone rewrites alot of it.
--
					:alex.
					Systems Programmer