unix-pc motherboard memory upgrade REPOST

Bob Hoffman hoffman at pitt.UUCP
Thu Feb 25 07:01:47 AEST 1988

In article <2634 at ihuxz.ATT.COM> cmv at ihuxz.UUCP (Craig Votava) writes:
>Fri Feb 19 13:59:54 CST 1988
>This proceedure has been confirmed. -- cmv
>
>Here is another repost that I promised on upgrading memory on the motherboard.
>Once again I want to say that I have not done this on my machine ... yet,
>maybe someone that has can confirm the proceedure??

I confirmed this privately to Craig, but I think I should tell the rest
of the net as well.  I have done this upgrade myself and it works.  Do
exactly what Craig says and you will have a working 2mb motherboard.  For
desoldering, I used an Ungar 4000 desoldering station.  I also used Augat
machined-pin gold-plated sockets.  Total time to do the upgrade was
approximately eight hours.  It's quite fatiguing to desolder 72 16-pin
chips, so I spread the work out over three nights.  I did this upgrade
in July 1987 and it has been working without a hitch ever since.

	---Bob.

--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman%pitt at relay.cs.net