3b1 tape cartdrige

Mikel Manitius mikel at atlas.codas.att.com
Thu Feb 18 13:45:04 AEST 1988

In article <389 at pcbox.UUCP>, pjc at pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) writes:
> I'm thinking about getting a tape backup system for my 3b1, I know ... I know
> I hate paying that kind of money too.  But I need a good solution in saving
> my files if the 3b1 craps out, where it would be cheaper to junk it.
>
> My question is if I backup on the tape cartdrige system can a 3b2 read
> a 3b1 backup tape  (cpio format).

Yes, a 3b2/300 with an XM or 3b2/400 will be able to read the tape.
It will not be readable on a SCSI drive however.

For those of you in offices who have a STARLAN network, I've written
some nifty utilities, one of which is a tape backup interface. I can
back up an entire 67Meg 3b1 disk onto a 60 Meg SCSI tape on a 3b2/600.
(assuming the 3b1's disk isn't completley full (the extra 7 meg...))

One other note about the streamer drive for the UNIX Pc, we seem to
be having problems with the specific combination of OS 3.51, a STARLAN
board, and a tape controler board in the same machine. With the addittion
of the tape drive, the PC crashes right after booting.
--
					Mikel Manitius
					mikel at codas.att.com