Crossposting within unix-pc.*

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.UUCP
Sat Jul 2 06:34:43 AEST 1988

In article <226 at magnus.UUCP> mml at magnus.UUCP (Mike Levin) writes:
|>It seems to me that crossposting has become the reason that a lot of
|>folks have to read through a lot of stuff on the net.  And that's OK,
|>since there are some 200+ groups on usenet.  But, this little sub-net,
|>unix-pc.*, is entirely for folks who share a common interest.  Therefore,
|>when I see articles cross-posted within this very group, I find it annoying.
|>
|>I'm not trying to flame anybody, but merely to *humbly* suggest that (unless
|>I'm wrong, and there are folks out there who read unix-pc.general but *not*
|>unix-pc.uucp, etc) it would be more *elegant* to not cross-post *within* this
|>little group.

I agree about crossposting.  There is no need to crosspost an article to
unix-pc.general and then to unix-pc.uucp.  If it's UUCP related it should
only be unix-pc.general.  Another thought is to expand the unix-pc group
hiearchy to other than:
				unix-pc.general
				unix-pc.misc
				unix-pc.sources
				unix-pc.test
				unix-pc.uucp

First of all get rid of unix-pc.misc (it's the same thing as unix-pc.general)
and I've never ever seen anything posted to that group.  It's might be
more useful to get a few extra groups on specific unix-pc related topics:

A few suggestions:
   unix-pc.software.att      - Discussion of AT&T supported UNIX pc software
   unix-pc.software.3rdparty - Discussion of 3rd party software & vendors
   unix-pc.software.user     - Discussion about user created software
   unix-pc.hardware.att      - Discussion of AT&T hardware for the 3B1
   unix-pc.hardware.3rdparty - Discussion of 3rd party hardware & vendors
   unix-pc.hardware.user     - Discussion about user created hardware
   unix-pc.security          - Discussion of the security issues on the 3B1
   unix-pc.programming       - Programming issues on the 3B1 (tam, curses,
                               shared libraries, gnu-cc, etc.)
   unix-pc.os.bugs           - Discussion on current operating system software
			       bug issues related (system crashes, etc..)
   unix-pc.sources.d         - Discussion on software posted to unix-pc.sources
   unix-pc.sources.bugs      - Discussion on bugs and bug fixes to software
			       posted to unix-pc.sources

These are only suggestions.. want a vote on this... mail me and I'll
compile the results.  If you have your own suggestions, please add it.  Keep
the *VOTING* off the NET, please use E-mail.

|>One other thought.  Unix-pc.sources might be a good place to post sources,
|>but it might be a good idea to see if somebody out there might want to
|>actually moderate it.  That way, we could have a central repository of
|>information (somebody with the charisma of Rich $alz).  Just a thought.

Well this is good and bad.  Basically one person is in charge of all the
sources for the UNIX PC community, but this slows down the posting of sources.
I really haven't seen *too* much non-related sources posted to unix-pc.sources.
If the unix-pc community really wants moderated unix-pc.sources, I volunteer.
(I don't know if I have Rich $alz charisma, but why not :->)

Want to vote on this... E-mail me as well!

Devoted UNIX PC-er,
Lenny

--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \