Gcc 1.24 won't make: can anyone help?

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Fri Jul 8 11:57:36 AEST 1988

I got 1.22 from acornc, and a shar from the unix-pc net that said it would
make for the 3b1.  This was so far gone that I just ignored it.

So I got the patches from acornc to bring it up to 1.24, and linked and
edited all the things that the INSTALL file suggested.  I installed the
uuencoded cpp from the unix-pc net, and had another go.

I get annoying warnings that tm-3b1.h redefines CPP_SPEC.  Then finally
I get lots of errors saying that there are syntax errors in objstak.h,
which there are because it's trying to use prototype declarations, or
whatever they're called.

Has anyone made this beast for the 3b1 and actually kept track of what they
did well enough to tell?  I don't mind a torturous path to bootstrap serious
software onto the machine.  What I mind is having to use guesswork to
do it.  I'm not about to go wading through this stuff to find the hidden
gizmos -- I will just wait for someone closer to it, or someone with
more experience with compilers to show the way.

I just want to use it, not hack on it.

So, if anyone out there actually knows how to do this AND can articulate
it for an intelligent, experienced software developer who no longer plays
inside compilers, please step forward.