hard disk failure

wtr at moss.ATT.COM wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Wed Nov 23 08:10:14 AEST 1988

In article <445 at manta.pha.pa.us> brant at manta.pha.pa.us (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>This past Sunday manta's 40 Mb Hitachi drive bit the dust after 1.5 yr
>of continuous service.  It has since been replaced with a Seagate
>ST4096 80 Mb (28 ms).

>Problem 1: the drive had "rails" affixed to each side of it,
>clearly to fit an AT's chassis. [ to remove rails,...]
> It turns out that you need a size-10 "tork" (sp?).

had the same problem when i installed a seagate in my former sperry
AT clone.  the proper sized allen (hex) driver will do in a pinch.

>Problem 2: the drive came configured to respond as drive 1 instead of
>drive 0.  There was a little clip-on jumper on the underside of the
>drive that had to be moved...

same problem.  my advice to anyone going to play with any seagate drive
is to call up seagate (some 800-number) and request them to send you
their "universal seagate manual"  which contains basic info on
configuring/jumper settings for all of their drives.  it was *free*
(yes, that's right) and well worth the effort.

>Brant Cheikes

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)