The STORE!

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.zone1.com
Thu Sep 29 13:56:25 AEST 1988

In article <698 at bacchus.UUCP> darren at bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
> ...   Is it possible to run
>the STORE! software off a UNIXpc?  If so, I'd be more than willing to
>run it.

The STORE is a neat concept but I can see where it would be a pain in the butt
to maintain.  When I bought my machine about a dozen others bought them too.
Most of them are UNIX neophites so I try to support them by testing out all
the software that comes across the net and then passing it along.  The format
they prefer for me to use is the "install" format used by the STORE.  Setting
up the installable files, building the remove scripts, making sure all the
files get set to the right permissions, etc., takes a lot of time.  I have
not been overly impressed by some of the program that I have downloaded from
the store but I have to say that the packaging was top notch.

Now that I have moaned and groaned about how hard it is to set up install files,
let me say that I would like to see the STORE, or another system running the
same software, be continued.  Actually, the only thing that the STORE system
needs to have in terms of software is uucp.  The programs that run on our
machines know what file name to fetch when you order any given package.  All
you need to do is convince the program that does the ordering to send the uucp
request to a machine other than "shop".

If the software that generates the catalog and the software for the PC side
can be obtained from ATT, what would be really good is if we could get a
dozen or so machines scattered around the country to act as alternate STORE
machines.  I am willing to have my machine act as a STORE host with the
caveat that I usually only have about 5 meg of disk space free so I'm not
sure if I could hold the entire catalog on line.  Maybe we could take up a
collection and buy bigger disk drives for anyone that is willing to act as
a STORE host. :-)
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave