Unix PC uugetty, Sun 3/50 or 4/110 getty

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Tue Jan 3 12:19:53 AEST 1989

In article <295 at arnold.UUCP> dave at arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <779 at rush.cts.com>, bob at rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) writes:
>>
>> We've got uugetty on the AT&T (3.51, hardware flow control enabled,
>> new combo PROM, HDB/BNU).
>   ^^^^ What is a new combo PROM?  My Combo card causes my system
>to hang when I use tty001 or tty002, do I need a hardware patch?
>Dave Arnold   ...!uunet!ccicpg!arnold!dave

I believe what Bob Ames thought was a PROM is really the replacement
8530 Serial Communications Controller chip.  I don't know the whole
story, but apparantly some of the 8530s that were used in some combo
boards had some inherent defects which caused a port to lock or
computer to crash when a lot of I/O was happening on the combo ports.

I have the new 8530, and my board works fine with a VT100 connected to
it at 9600 baud.

-----
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil at icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."