Is rhost() a front end to gethbyname()

Hwajin Bae hwajin at wrswrs.UUCP
Sat Jun 17 07:30:35 AEST 1989

In article <556 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>I'm new to writing socket code, and I've run across some code that uses rhost(),
>which is not in my library. Does this perform a similar function to
>geth[ost]byname()? Anybody got some good get-aquainted-to-sockets code?

Ahhhh... memories...
The rhost() system call is an older 4.1BSD equivalent of gethostby*()
like calls... so it's better to convert the code to use newer gethostby*()
style calls.  THe only still widely available 4.1 BSD TCP/IP code is
the one by Excelan whose TCP/IP and socket code runs on (literally) their
intelligent ethernet boards.  Most of us are using 4.3 based TCP/IP as
you know.

hwajin
--
{uunet,rtech,sun}!wrs!hwajin (UUCP)