UNIX-PX Printer Setup

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Tue Mar 14 02:33:39 AEST 1989

In article <719 at kosman.UUCP> kevin at kosman.UUCP (Root) writes:
>Yep, AT&T did it to you again.  They did it to me, too.  Screen printing
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^              ^^^^^^^^^^^^  AT&T targets precisely ;-)
>works only with AT&T printers, maybe on full compatibles.  This is not too
>surprising because it is built into the kernel and they didn't want to
>clutter that with lots of odd options for different bit-addressing styles
>that different printers have.

(It's always fun reading paranoid broadcasts!-)  AT&T -- according to
the report I heard from within AT&T -- TRIED to include the OKIDATA-92
printer, but supporting this printer's "features" collided with deadlines.

The KERNEL only sends the bits out (ref: 'wd' ioctl): there is a
screendump program that is responible for translating it to the printer
-- and therein's your problem -- at least the software one!

You can generate image FILES -- since I do NOT do this, I'll defer to
others to explain how -- and drive the printer from your own
bitmap-to-printer converter.

jcm