uucp Handshake error. . .

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Sep 16 14:22:48 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep13.160258.16400 at cctb.wa.com> randy at cctb.wa.com (Randy Orrison) writes:

>| >If two systems are logging in using two different LOGNAMEs, they must
>| >have different user id's.

>| Wrong.  Each of my uucp connections has a separate login, e.g.
>| Ufoo for site foo and Ubar for site bar, all sharing the same
>| uid.  Works fine with HDB, worked fine (as much as anything
>| worked fine) with the brain-dead stock uucp.
>
>So far, Karl is right.  All uucp logins *can* have the same uid, there's
>no problem with this.  However,

My experience with HDB is that different systems using different LOGNAMEs
must have different uid's if you want to match the correct entry in
the PERMISSIONS file.  That is, the PERMISSIONs entry will be found by
the first match of the uid in the passwd file instead of matching the
actual login name (which could be found by the LOGNAME environment
variable but would be trivial to fake).
Otherwise, and with non-HDB it shouldn't make any difference since
uucico is set-uid and is normally started by random users sending
mail etc.

Les Mikesell