ST-4096 on the PC7300 ... (was Re: Graphics on PC7300)

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sun Sep 3 02:41:36 AEST 1989

In article <938 at cbnewsk.ATT.COM> ntj at cbnewsk.ATT.COM (najmi.jarwala) writes:

|>I have a 20MB disk (Miniscribe?) and I have just obtained a 80MB Seagate
|>ST4096 that I plan to install. The distributor assures me that it is a simple
|>plug-out plug-in operation.  Is it really that simple? Are there any pitfalls
|>I should be aware of?

Firstly, the Seagate ST-4096 is a 9 head drive, the UNIX pc (aka PC7300)
can only handle 8 heads 1024 cylinders without ANY hardware modifications.
So your 80MB drive is now a 67MB drive, oh well.   Also you should be aware
that the power consumption on the bigger full-height drives is much more
than what your small half-height 20MB drive is taking...  The PC7300 power
supply probably can't handle that drive, so I'd suggest an external power
supply cabinet for the ST4096, it's probably what you planned on doing since
the PC7300 doesn't have the extra "hump" for the full height drives,
unless you bought another top ...

If you want the 20MB and 80MB drive both together you'll definately have
to do the 2nd drive hardware modifications... E-mail me for further
information...

-Lenny

--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576