Using identifiers with more than 7 chars. #$%@

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Mar 8 16:06:39 AEST 1986

> I cannot sympathize.  I have a program that was posted to the net some
> time ago called "shortc" which takes all conflicting long identifiers in
> a set of source files, and outputs #defines to differentiate them...

Most people with 7-character compilers have 7-character preprocessors
to match.

> ...Of course, if this is the case, I would throw away that compiler,
> and start over!

Personally, I do not have time to re-implement my C compiler.

> Of course, even with a bogus compiler, and a bogus preprocessor, you can
> still take the output of shortc and apply the changes by hand yourself!...

You forgot to add ":-)".  This sort of thing has to be re-done every time
a patch for the program comes in.  Try it some time; you'll quickly find
out why it's considered impractical.

> Is there enough interest to have this program re-posted to the net?

If it includes a long-identifier preprocessor, sure.  Otherwise, don't bother.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology