killing processes

Mark P. Bader mbader at fred.cs.washington.edu
Sun May 28 06:16:24 AEST 1989

I'm having a problem when I start either a PING or an XTERM process and
put it in the background - I can't kill either of them.

For example:

hanna% ping blake.acs &
hanna% ps ux
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   SZ  RSS TT STAT  TIME COMMAND
mbader    8794  0.8  2.4  499  305 p2 R     0:34 -csh
mbader    9079  0.8  2.5  506  310 p5 S     0:09 ping blake.acs
hanna% kill -9 9079
9079: Not owner
hanna%

!!!!??? The problem is that I AM the owner!

The same thing happens when I start an Xterm process - I can't kill it from
the shell that I've started it from (or any other shell for that matter).  I
can only kill it by going into the Xterm window on the display and typing
Control-D.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mark Bader                               INTERNET:  mbader at cac.washington.edu
Networks and Distributed Computing, UW     BITNET:  mbader at uwav1
3737 Brooklyn Ave. NE  	                     BELL:  (206) 543-5128
Seattle, WA  98105

Mark Bader    { mbader at uwav1   (Bitnet)       }
              { mbader at fred.cs.washington.edu }