Daylight Savings Time

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Wed Dec 11 01:11:38 AEST 1985

It's 02:10 one Sunday morning.
You have just made a very important update to a disk file.
You clobber your file a few days later, so you restore it
from a backup, which was run automatically at 02:30 Sunday.
Funny, this doesn't look like the right file...

"It's 02:30 -- Do you know where your files are?"

I am 100% serious when I suggest that UNIX time reporting
be done in UT rather than local political time.  This is a
technically correct solution to a difficult people problem.
I have known people who operated on UT; when I was an SWL
I did so myself.  Why let yourself be sloshed around by
politicians when you can establish a regular schedule with
well-defined characteristics?

The problems with the mapping UT <-> local_time are:
	(a) It is complex.
	(b) It is irregular.
	(c) It is unpredictable for the future.
	(d) It is poorly documented.