Need tty000 modem help

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Wed Nov 16 04:06:36 AEST 1988

In article <4242 at pitt.UUCP> anthony at pitt.UUCP (M. Anthony Kapolka 3) writes:
[describes modem setup]
>When I set it up (via /etc/inittab) with a getty, everything seems fine.
>When someone calls in, however, the modem picks up the phone and then
>promptly hangs up on the caller.

[John Milton gives one explanation]

Another reason why this can happen is that when a Hayes compatible modem
is in verbose mode, and a caller calls in, the CONNECT xxx message is
sent to the 3B1 and is subsequently echoed back to the modem.  If this
happens fast enough on some modems (ie. the "C" in "CONNECT" gets sent back
to the modem before the whole CONNECT xxx message is displayed), the modem
will think you are aborting the call.  I wouldn't have even mentioned this
except that it happened to me!

No flames on config, etc. please.  This was one of many ways I tried to get
this particular modem to work right on the 3B1.  After hours of fighting with
the modem, I sold it.

One more question -- Has anyone (successfully) gotten a cheap 300/1200/2400
baud modem to work right with the 3B1.  I am using a Microcom (borrowed) which
has a braindamaged autobaud system.  I would like to hear what needs to be
done to set it up, and what the price is.  If I get a lot of personal

--------
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil at icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."