Need tty000 modem help

Randy Orrison randy at cctb.mn.org
Sun Nov 20 04:53:38 AEST 1988

In article <11363 at cup.portal.com> ebd at cup.portal.com (Elliot B Dierksen) writes:
|The problem you are having is because your /etc/gettydefs file is not set up
|properly. first you need to set the modem up in the following fashion.
|E0 - do not echo commands
|Q1 - enable quiet mode.. never send any text output
|
|it would be better to set those options in NVRAM or with dipswitches if
|possible. next, here are some of the entries from my gettydefs file. i have a
|hayes comp. 2400 baud modem which i use to call out and receive calls at
|varied baud rates:
|if this does not solve the problem, send me some mail. i may have another
|possible solution because i have been through this before with someone else.

I'm having similar problems using a 1200 baud external (Rixon Executive
212 Autodialer) modem.  My problem was that everyone logging in was
confronted with 'PASSWORD:' - getty had read the CONNECT and started the
login process with an all upper case login name.  The solution was the
same, turn off the modem echoing, but then dialout didn't work.  (It
expects 'OK' and 'CARRIER' and such.)  Does anyone have a modemcap entry
for a hayes modem that doesn't report status codes?

	-randy
Randy Orrison - Chemical Computer Thinking Battery - randy at cctb.mn.org
(aka randy@{umn-cs.uucp, ux.acss.umn.edu, umnacvx.bitnet, halcdc.uucp})